Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Treasure



So, over the Thanksgiving break my family and I went to St. Augustine, Florida to spend the Holiday with my Grandpa. My Grandma passed away last March and I think my Grandpa misses her a lot, so we went to go spend some time with him. Anyways, Grandpa gave me this watch while we were down there. It belonged to my Grandmother and he wanted me to have it.

I think it's such a neat piece of jewelry. It's super vintage looking and I really like the detail around the face of the watch and the topaz stones on the band. The face is mother of pearl so it looks really pretty when it catches the light. I've never been real big with watches but I've very quickly become attached to this one. Mostly, I think, because it belonged to my grandmother. I've only know a few people in my life that have passed away, but nobody has ever left me anything before that they used to own. For some reason it makes me feel really special when I wear Grandma's watch, to feel entrusted with something she left behind on the Earth, to carry part of her with me. I get a lot of the way I look from my Grandma, so sometimes I imagine Grandma wearing this watch, it suits her well.

But it also reminds me of something that I've been thinking about a lot lately, about storing your treasure in Heaven. Everyone dies, it's a part of life. And when you die you don't get to take anything with you, not watches, not money, not even your relationships with other people. So where do I store my treasure? Is it here on Earth with the things that I own or accomplish, or with people who think I'm smart or funny or pretty? What do I value? Jesus once said where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

Matthew 6:19-20

  19 “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20 But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

why not both? treasure from here to the heavens! :)
PS: That's a pretty nifty watch. I just got a watch, but I bought it at J Crew. It means nothing (except for the $150.00 it's worth). lol